Thursday 20 September 2012

With Love To My Antonym

I think that saying must be true,
I think it must be fact,
for you and I are opposites
and we certainly attract.

You always take the rubbish out
and no-one does it finer.
And I always go to use the bin
and find that there’s no liner.

You always hoard such useless things;
nothing is discarded.
I only keep necessities
but you throw them out regardless.

You always keep so neat and clean,
washed and shaved and combed.
And I always find my towel’s been used
for wiping shaving foam.

You always put the channel on
that I want to see.
And I always find you’ve changed it
if I pop out to make tea.

Aren’t we lucky, you and me,
such balance in our lives?
I wouldn’t change a thing about
our constant compromise.

(Explanation: I wrote this for my husband on Valentine's Day 2010. Perfect Me is the 2014 update! 
Inspired by: Martin O'Sullivan)